So I was craving Dairy Queen for the past 4 days, but resisted the urge. Finally last night Lee said, let's go out for icecream! Hurray!!! I love how Isabel's face lights up when you mention the word "icecream." We didn't end up going to Dairy Queen, but went to Brewster's. It was nice. We sat outside on the picnic tables, enjoyed each other, the nice day, and the icecream. It wasn't quite "my" Dairy Queen, but it did the trick!:) Oh, they have free baby cones too. This was taken on Lee's phone so the quality is not the best, but you can see Isabel enjoying her icecream.
Sunday, April 19, 2009
It's a part of life...
Growing-up, after every summer came the dreaded day of Dairy Queen closing. Yes, I mean this is a dreaded day in the small little tourist town I grew up in. Though they have a famous ice cream place, called House of Flavors (delicious too), the Dairy Queen in my hometown is more than just a Dairy Queen, it's a part of life. So of course, every spring, on opening day people are celebrating. You see this Dairy Queen is not like all others. It's only open in the summer, there is no inside restaurant, only picnic tables to sit at, they don't serve the typical "Dairy Queen" food, they have the world's best Coney Dogs/Chicago Dogs (not Cincinnati chili people), and only teenage girls work there, no guys (I'm sure there are some laws against this, but in my small hometown it's just the way it is), and they will make you something that the typical Dairy Queen might not carry anymore (aka: Frozen Hot Chocolate...yum). Families are often found gathered there for small reunions or they get their DQ to go and head down to the beach to watch the sunset. I know, I know I bet your saying to yourself, can Dairy Queen really be that magical? Any other place I don't think so, but there it somehow is.
So I was craving Dairy Queen for the past 4 days, but resisted the urge. Finally last night Lee said, let's go out for icecream! Hurray!!! I love how Isabel's face lights up when you mention the word "icecream." We didn't end up going to Dairy Queen, but went to Brewster's. It was nice. We sat outside on the picnic tables, enjoyed each other, the nice day, and the icecream. It wasn't quite "my" Dairy Queen, but it did the trick!:) Oh, they have free baby cones too. This was taken on Lee's phone so the quality is not the best, but you can see Isabel enjoying her icecream.
So I was craving Dairy Queen for the past 4 days, but resisted the urge. Finally last night Lee said, let's go out for icecream! Hurray!!! I love how Isabel's face lights up when you mention the word "icecream." We didn't end up going to Dairy Queen, but went to Brewster's. It was nice. We sat outside on the picnic tables, enjoyed each other, the nice day, and the icecream. It wasn't quite "my" Dairy Queen, but it did the trick!:) Oh, they have free baby cones too. This was taken on Lee's phone so the quality is not the best, but you can see Isabel enjoying her icecream.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i can totally resonate with your dairy queen story. in lake city, where our family cottage has been since i was born, there is a tasty treat. a dairy queen was recently built across the street - and we all hate it! tasty treat gives you the biggest cone for your buck and is home grown. i'm offended each time i go to lake city, drive past the dairy queen, say mean things under my breath and experience a refreshing when i see the large, neon ice cream cone on tasty treat's roof.
ps - isabel is soooo big! :)
Post a Comment