Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Classic Beef Stroganoff

Because some have asked for this recipe (yea, like a few months ago I know...sorry). It's one of my FAVORITE meals and quite frankly it could just be me. Lee likes it, but I LOVE it and my girls well they just don't know what absolute deliciousness is yet:) To me it's home, a definite comfort food. And well I made it just last night so it reminded me to post it, especially after eating the yummy left overs today...ok, enough about how much I love it. It comes from a 1976 Betty Crocker cookbook. One I searched for on ebay before I got married because they just don't have some of the recipes they do in modern cookbooks. Here you go (with a few of my own notes):
  • 1 pound beef tenderloin or sirloin steak, about 1/2 inch thick (I usually get what's on sale. This last time I even used stew meat and just cut the pieces a bit smaller. It was a bit more tough, but still good).
  • 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
  • 1/2 pound mushrooms, washed, trimmed and sliced (I've used fresh and canned, both are fine)
  • 1 medium onion, minced - about 1/2 cup (I use chopped frozen onion and it works GREAT)
  • 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth (I dump out just a bit of this and I mean a bit. For some reason when I've used the whole can the sauce is too thin).
  • 2 tablespoons catsup (this is how it's spelled in the cookbook)
  • 1 small clove garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1 cup dairy sour cream
  • 3-4 cups hot cooked noodles (I use extra wide egg noodles and I make rice for Lee cause he likes it over rice and not noodles)
Cut meat into small cubes. Melt butter in large skillet. Add mushroom and onion; cook and stir until onion is tender, then remove from skillet. In same skillet, cook meat until light brown. Reserving 1/3 cup of the broth, stir in remaining broth, the catsup, garlic, and salt. Cover, simmer 15 min.

Blend reserved broth and flour; stir into meat mixture. Add mushrooms and onion. Hat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Reduce heat. Stir in sour cream; heat. Serve over noodles (or rice).

I know, if I was really good at posting stuff like this I would have a picture too, but I don't...it didn't last long enough to take a picture:) Okay, I hope you enjoy as much as I do!

4 comments:

The Talberts said...

Yum! I'm going to give it a try. Isn't it weird that it's spelled 'catsup'? My dad always pronounced it cat-sup when he asked for a bottle at a restaurant or something and I was always like, "Geez Dad. That's so embarrassing. Who does that?"

Anonymous said...

Excellent recipe--Love, Mom

Mandy said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Can't wait to try it! :)

Rachael Neal said...

Making this right now!