This whole conversation came to mind when Pastor Peter was speaking today on our whole lives and actions being the biggest example we can show our children. That we too are sinners and the "do it because I said so" mentality isn't going to change our children's heart issue(s). I'm still contemplating all of this, but the conversation with Isabel did make me evaluate my own sin and how I need to respond to situations to come.
So after leaving church today, Mother's Day, as most Sundays I do, I got the girls in the car and headed for home. It has sort of become a tradition for us on Sundays (since daddy is working) to go through a drive through, go home, get comfy clothes on, and have a picnic lunch in the living room where we watch a movie. It's probably not the norm for most families. We don't have a sit down dinner like I did growing up, but for us it works and we enjoy ourselves and our time together. So today, since it was Mother's Day I decided to go through one of my favorite drive through places, Long John Silvers. The girls, ok Isabel, was being rather impatient and I was really trying to put the sermon into practice and be a good example, trying to empathize with her how I feel the same ways sometimes when I'm tired and hungry. We got home and I thought, "Okay, we made it, let's eat." I pull our food out only to find they had given us the wrong order, completely wrong, something the girls and I both wouldn't eat. I about burst into tears (that could have been my disappointment or the pregnancy hormones). I would have normally just thrown something together at home, but since we had been our of town this past week I had no food in the house. So I pulled myself together, threw the girls in the car, and ran to the closest McDonald's. It seems like such a trivial thing now, but my reaction even to having been given the wrong food order was witnessed by my girls and probably was less than Christ like.
I'm so thankful for being a mom, but even more thankful for a Savior who pours out his grace when our actions and attitudes fall short.
On a lighter note. I mentioned we put "comfy clothes" on when we get home from church. I usually let Isabel pick out her own clothes on such occasions and this was her combination today (you can't see, but she has 3 shirts on).
4 comments:
this was very encouraging, candace. I often glare at my weaknesses as a mother and wife instead of focusing on the strength of our Savior. thank you for your vulnerability.
I had to keep from crying when my 1 Mother's Day treat didn't turn out. We planned all week to go to Cold Stone Creamery for ice cream - which I LOVE. I always get the same thing - Founders Favorite - because I LOVE it. (it's basically a fancy brownie sundae). After I ordered the girls' ice cream I ordered mine only to be told they ran out of brownies.
I was stunned and had to come up with a quick Option B. I decided chocolate cake with ice cream might be a good option...it wasn't! It wasn't even close. I wasn't even worth eating!
It's sad to spend that much on a very special treat and then not enjoy it...I'm sure you can relate.
I decided (a day later) God was doing me a favor and helping not crave Cold Stone anymore...it was too disappointing.
A thought on Isabel's fashion sense: Lola (Grandmother Melody Nordine)has been wearing three shirts every day since coming to the USA for vacation. Maybe Isabel has some tropical missionary blood.
Lolo
Loved that post, Candace! Isn't God so gracious in giving us opportunities in sanctification? It's so hard, but so good for us.
Post a Comment