We visited the ENT (ears, nose, throat) specialist with Isabel today. Since she was 6 months old she's struggled with ear infections. She does fine in the summer, but as soon as the cold season hits she has one right after the other. This last month she's had two and we just found out that the antibiotic she has been on for this last one (for 9 days now) hasn't been working and her ears are still infected. They did a hearing test on her, and I'm not sure how accurate it was cause Isabel was supposed to follow certain directions and she just doesn't do that with strangers very well, but they did say she seems to have moderate hearing loss, mainly from having fluid in her ears.
SO...in short, the doctor did recommend us getting tubes for Isabel's ears. I feel like it's not incredibly major decision, it seems obvious that she needs them. They do have to put her out for the procedure though. I've never been "put out" so the idea of my child having to get put out is a little nerve wracking, but also know it is in her best interest. It's only a 5-10 min. procedure and they showed us the tube they would put in her ear. It's so tiny, very different than what I imagined I guess.
They are checking with our insurance and we should hear tomorrow about scheduling to have it done, possibly as soon as next week. We'd appreciate your prayers!
8 comments:
If it's any help at all, I've been under three times and it's really no big deal. It's like falling asleep, except when you wake up it feels like no time has passed at all. They keep you on all kinds of monitors. I felt a little groggy while the anesthesia worked its way out of my system, but that's it. Although I'm certain that it is much easier to be put under than to watch your little girl be put under.
I've been put under a couple of times and Kate's description is quitet accurate. Our neighbor girl who will be 4 at the end of the month has to go in regularly (like every few months) for surgery to remove growths in her throat. She is put under each time and seems to come out ok. Her mom works in the NICU of that hospital and said the first time she went under, she (mom) was a nervous wreck, but now she knows it isn't a big deal with Bella. I know as a Mom it will be incredibly stressful on you to have this done, but like you said it is in her best interest. Know that we will be praying for her, you and the medical team performing the procedure. Take care, God bless and please keep us updated.
Michael had a surgery last year and he had to be "put out". It was a bit nerve racking, because it was my sweet precious little baby, but everything was fine! I was glad when it was over though! I am sure she will do awesome, it will definatly be harder on you than her. Just try to relax, pray and trust.
I will be praying. I was incredibly anxious when our pediatrician told us that we should discuss tubes if Eli gets one more infection. I can certainly understand your concerns. I have been put under as well, and it was much like Katie described. I was sort of bummed out that I couldn't remember the best nap since I began having children.
We'll be praying - I'm sure it will go well but I can understand the concern. And for further consolation - I know a handful of people (most of them toddlers or babies) who have been put under for tubes and they did great! Isabel will do great - and you will too. :) Let me know if you will need anything during the time of her surgery - meal/babysitting/anything!
to add to the consolations...i had to have tubes put in at 10 years old though it probably should have happened at her age. i didn't have another ear infection until i ruptured my ear drums in a boating accident. now they are chronic again and i will have to have ear surgery to repair my drums, thus ending the infections. long story short - be glad she is getting them. they will help SO much! i remember feeling like a new kid when i got mine. the only bummer is making sure she doesn't get water in her ears. that is painful! praying for you all!
to add to the consolations...i had to have tubes put in at 10 years old though it probably should have happened at her age. i didn't have another ear infection until i ruptured my ear drums in a boating accident. now they are chronic again and i will have to have ear surgery to repair my drums, thus ending the infections. long story short - be glad she is getting them. they will help SO much! i remember feeling like a new kid when i got mine. the only bummer is making sure she doesn't get water in her ears. that is painful! praying for you all!
Hi Candace,
Andrew was put under when he was 23 months old, he was fine. I was a wreck. I totally understand how you are feeling as a mom. He was a bit confused and crying when he came out because we weren't in the recovery room with him, but then they called me to hold him. Trust me, Isabel won't remember anything.
You can do it, be strong!
Joel & Barb
Post a Comment