Tuesday, July 12, 2011

My birthday present

When I was in MN for my Uncle's funeral I purchased a book I'd been wanting to get for some time and called it my birthday present. Yes, I bought it overpriced at a Barnes n Noble, but I knew I would have several hours at the airport with nothing to do as I was getting dropped off early. Turns out my flight was delayed so I was even happier I had something to do. I read through about half of the book just that evening.

The book is: Choosing to See by Mary Beth Chapman. Really it's the story of her life, but also what she went/has gone through in the tragic loss of their adopted daughter from China. The book is about her trial, her suffering, the many ways God gave her hope to keep going on day after day. It's also a lot about adoption and how God even brought their family down that road. There are really funny parts in the book that you laugh out loud and then parts that have you glued to each word she writes.

I think and have heard the loss of a child is something that you can't really understand unless you have lost one and I see that in how she writes. I'd really recommend the book for anyone who is suffering though (and who isn't right?).

I think the last paragraph in the books sums up a lot of what she learned, "I can choose to SEE His story, or I can miss it. And I know-in the winter of our grieving and the frozen mourning of my plans that will never be and my dreams that have died-the reality is this: God's warm breath is on the move. New life is budding...and often where I expected it the least, like right inside of me."

I don't usually do "book reviews" on my blog, but I don't often get to finish whole books either. I'm usually one that starts one and then maybe about 3 years later I restart it. Anyway, if you are looking for a good read...borrow it from me, or buy somewhere cheaper than Barnes n Noble:)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Candace I have wanted to read this book ever since I saw it. Can I borrow it?

Anonymous said...

I read an article about the family recently and it was promoting the book. It made me want to read it. So did your review. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

Janelle S said...

I was wondering how that book would be. Maybe I'll put in my request to borrow it after Joel.

Paulina said...

I love book recommendations :) I'll have to pick it up in the future.

Cleary said...

Gave this to Ruthie for Christmas and I think she also said how good it was.

Shawna said...

I just read their story this morning on Steven's website but only caught a glimpse of the book. After reading what you wrote, it sounds like I'll definitely have to read the book =]

Carrie S said...

I was given this book after our last good-bye to a baby and I read it in one day; I couldn't put it down. I also laughed out loud. I cried and it purged a lot that was stuffed inside. I'm anxious to read it again as I was so hungry for the message that I know I probably missed a lot. Then, I can't wait to share it with others. Such a great read!
PS We loved the b&b and ate at both Bistro One and the Downtowner!