1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 1:12
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 2 Timothy 4:7
There are several passages in Scripture that reference our Christian walk like being a "race." The above are just two of them. Our walk with God should be something that we do with endurance, we train for, and we finish well. My 2012 goal is to be Kingdom minded, in the sense that I am in a race this year and I want to finish well for the Kingdom. I want the "the words of my mouth and meditations of my heart to be pleasing in His sight (Psalm 19:14 paraphrase)."
So this year I will also being doing a physical race, a half-marathon. It's a goal that kind of started out in a humorous way. I was watching the Biggest Loser finale, a show I don't typically watch, and the contestants were running a marathon as their final challenge. I told Lee, I could/should do that, I'm turning 30 this year, that would be a crazy goal...saying this all being very naive about it.
After talking with some running friends and doing some research online, a half-marathon seems more achievable at this stage in my life. Even though, I don't consider myself a runner, I want a challenge. I want something, just like my faith, I am going to have to work at and endure. I'm not expecting it to be easy, and already I am so thankful for encouraging friends and those helping me on this journey.
I didn't want the race to be something that was just for me. I mean, yes, it's a great goal, I'm excited about it, but I wanted it to be something for the Kingdom. So last week at 4 am, my friend says that's when I do all my serious thinking (it's really when I'm usually trying to fall back to sleep after feeding Klara), I thought of this...
Over New Year's when we were with Lee's sister and her husband, Martha & Austin, they told us that they are going to be moving to Haiti to work with World Concern, a Christian relief organization. They have to raise support to go. I would like to as part of my half-marathon, have people sponsor a mile in my race, to help raise support for them to be able to go to Haiti.
So, I'm looking for 13 or more individuals/couples to sponsor a mile of my run. This might sound like a "BHAG" (Big Hairy Audacious Goal) as our Pastor calls it, but I'm confident God will provide sponsors. My goal is to raise $1300.00 - $100/mile. This will not only help Martha & Austin, but the people of Haiti who they will impact. If you are interested in sponsoring a mile or maybe part of a mile, contact me!
With that being said, if you think of it, PRAY! Pray that not only can I complete this physical race, but that I may be able to work on my ultimate goal for the year of being Kingdom minded!

No comments:
Post a Comment