Wednesday, January 25, 2012
words back into mouth
It was one of those evenings (there are far too many) when the house was a mess. I gave the girls the simple task (although it obviously seemed NOT so simple to them...as you will hear) of cleaning up their room. One room. One room in the entire house where all they had to do was throw toys in a basket here, a toy box there, or put a book on the book shelf. I gave them this task and because of their unenthusiastic response I also added...and...if it's not cleaned up you both will go straight to bed after dinner. Have you ever said something and wished the words could go straight back in your mouth? It was one of those moments, knowing that them going to bed at about 6:30 would probably be a harder punishment on me than it was on them. And sure enough, they followed through like I had thought would happen and didn't clean up a single thing. Isabel replied, "we'd rather go to bed." And quite frankly I can't blame the girl. I'd rather go to bed than clean my house most days too. Lesson learned, think before I speak.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So did they fall asleep right away? I'm curious to hear how the next morning went :) but I'm with you, I find myself falling into the threatening/repeating parent category without thinking it through well!
Post a Comment