Our pastor just started new sermon series entitled Real Worship. His first sermon in the series was great! I think it summed up what I've been learning over the past several months on my own, and so it was meaningful to me. I wanted to post a few thoughts and quotes from the sermon notes about it here not only for myself, but also to be able to share it with others.
"God-focused worship connects us to the glory of God - which is our ultimate purpose for living."
One of my favorite statements he made was, "It's not a zip code problem." I can't tell you how many times I've had that mentality. If only we moved or lived in a different place, I wouldn't be facing these problems. However, our problems are not circumstantial problems, and they aren't going to change if we move to another city. Our real problem is a worship problem, remembering that we were created for God's glory, in whatever circumstance we are in. We were made for something bigger. Everything is about God and not US. We need to be content with where God has us.
"Living for yourself and grasping for what you think just might satisfy you in this life is one of the most miserable ways you could ever live. Because of sin, we tend to DWARF God, and MAGNIFY our problems, and other people."
God is so much bigger!
The real world is about the glory of God, something beyond this world. "Every time you leave a worship service or a small group meeting or finish your own time of prayer and Bible reading - you need to understand that you just tapped into the REAL world - and are now heading back into the world of deceptions and lies."
God focused worship helps us lay aside those sins that are so dear to us. If we want to be like Jesus we need to continue to delight in him.
To listen or watch the sermon on Real Worship go here. It will be worth it!

No comments:
Post a Comment