Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Olympic Games

(A post I wrote a few weeks ago and never posted - and now I'm missing the nightly event of watching)

So when Lee and I got married it was 2004.  The year of the summer Olympics in Sydney.  I LOVE the Olympics.  I probably shouldn't admit this, but at our first apartment the pool was right outside our building.  For whatever reason no one ever really swam in it, so Lee and I would have it to ourselves most of the time.  I remember that summer we would race each other in the pool pretending we were at/in the Olympics.  Of course I would always win...NOT!  I would tell him I was Michael Phelps and was going to beat him, or vice versa.  It was a lot of fun.  Silly newlywed stuff:) 

This year before the Games even started, probably like a month or more before I started "playing" Olympics with the girls.  If we were in the backyard swimming in the kiddie pool we would each represent a different country.  Isabel usually wanted to represent Mexico.  They had no idea what was going on really though.  They would race each other in swimming, you know the whole 5 feet of the kiddie pool.  We'd also pretend we were rowing, or a variety of other sports.  They would get pretend medals.  Again, not really knowing what that meant. 

Last night we let the girls stay up late to actually watch the Olympics.  They had so many questions and just would NOT stop talking.  Lee kept saying, "If you just LISTEN you would learn things."  It was fun.  It was a memory.  Now they kind of understand it a little better.

It would be like a dream come true for me to actually go to an Olympics.  2016 is in Rio!  I better start saving my shekels.  Unlikely, but it's good to dream right:)

1 comment:

Cleary said...

Jeff and I used to have an annual swimming race. It's been a couple years, but it was fun. He would always just out touch me in Freestyle, but I would clobber him in breaststroke! Good memories.