Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The "process"

So after the crayon removal process, I can say that 95% of the crayon came out! Everything I thought was ruined, wasn't! And no, I didn't take pictures. I wish I did cause the difference was is dramatic. Anyway, here's what we did in case anyone is every in this situation. It was a combination of things we read online.

Step 1
Spray stains with WD40, I know it sounds weird, but it works. Let soak for an hour. We threw them in the tub to just sit.

Step 2
Scrub stains with dish soap using a tooth brush

Step 3
Soak clothes in washing machine with laundry detergent, Clorox 2, Oxiclean, and Spray n Wash

Step 4
Wash clothes with laundry detergent, Oxiclean, Borax and fabric softener (mainly to get the smell of WD40 out)

Step 5
Rewash clothes with same solution above

Step 6
Dry. Hurray, no more crayon!!!

Step 7
Throw out all crayons and only buy washable ones (just kidding, I didn't do this, but am tempted):)

3 comments:

The Talberts said...

Whoa. What a nightmare! I think I would've just thrown everything away. I'm glad it worked out, though. I'll come back and read this if we ever wash crayons. But I think the lesson I'm going to choose to learn through your whole ordeal is to check pockets before doing laundry. Ha.

the Pie family said...

melissa- i said the same thing about throwing it all away! good job for sticking with it candace!

krissy said...

I did throw out all our non-washable "washable markers" from the dollar store because of two permanent lines on our table and now a have a rule- Crayola only!!