At the start of a New Year people are always excited about New Year resolutions. For me it always seems like, ok get in gear...it's a new year let's go. I find myself wanting to change or make new habits. Wanting to find a better way of doing laundry, a better way to keep my house clean, a better way to time manage. And all these things are great! I'm sure (I know) there are lots of "betters" I can do in my life. The other day I realized though...sometimes it's ok. As in "my way" is ok. I find this concept a little conflicting, because I know as Christians we should always be changing and growing, trying to be better. Trying to strive to be more Christ like. Less of me and MORE of Him. I guess this is where contentment comes in. One example: Although I would love to have a tidy house at all times. Our family is ok with the fact that it's not. So maybe the "Secret guide to always having a clean home" (from whatever magazine) doesn't really need to be for me. I don't always make our bed (don't gasp Rachael Neal), but for us it's ok. Sometimes it's where we hangout as a family. Sometimes, I just don't get to it and figure well I'm going to get back in it soon anyway.
Even though I am ok with some things in our life, some things I humbly admit are better with change. One recent example of this in our life was the removal of our TV from our bedroom. Maybe some of you have no idea what it's like having a TV in your room (I feel very sorry for you...no, just kidding). I must admit. I was NOT sold on the idea. I liked having a TV in our room. I liked being able to go relax in our room after the kids were in bed, turn on an entertaining show, and go to sleep. When we rearranged our bedroom a few weeks ago, we both decided we would take the TV out (me more bitterly). But in all honesty, it's been great! It was hard at first. I would just put myself to bed at like 9 because I didn't know what to do with myself. But guess what? I've been READING! For those of you who say, you're not a reader...well, you become one when you don't have a TV. And believe me, it took a few weeks to adjust, but I don't know how else to explain other than it's been a good change. Try it!
One book I've been reading is entitled Real Marriage: The truth about sex, friendship, & life together by Mark & Grace Driscoll. I'm only through the first 3 chapters, but so far it's been really good. The chapter on friendship has been my favorite so far. In fact, I think I'm going to need to read it again. And Mark Driscoll is now doing a sermon series based on the book, so I just downloaded his sermons to listen to on my iPod while running. I think it will be good!
1 comment:
Wow...I hope you don't think our bed is made everyday...or really any day! Only when I take pictures and post them. :) And I can totally relate. I think God gave us twins to teach me to give the house a break.
Post a Comment